I recently ventured into the Austrian Alps – summer climbing season at the end. Exhausted from mountains and bored. What is better place to test your car than famous Glocknerstrasse.
Every major car manufacturer tests cars on Glocknerstrasse – you can see funny looking or cloaked cars with warning signs on them. For example “BRAKE TEST IN PROGRESS”.
I was tired from my first mountaineering session and wondered what should I do in meantime. It was very simple decision because I needed to test my ECU remap version 2.0 based on mistakes from version 1.
I found out that at altitude of 2500m there is just 0.75bar or 750hPa of air pressure. I remapped my ECU only for 800hPa and it was felt very well how car starts to die.
I’ve got some issues at cruise speed and with SOI (Start of Injection). Exhaust Gas and turbo temperature was slightly higher than my rear disc.
- EGT (Exhaust Gas Temperature) reaching 750-850 deg C
- I didn’t manage to burn front discs/pads as in Ferodo DS2500 test
- to my surprise, rear disc/pads burnt much earlier than front ones. Ferodo Premium pads have got thermal capacity around 300 deg C as every OEM brake pads
- left rear disc calliper is stuck and burnt a half of brake pad in just 3000km (see picture above by)
- larger disc upgrade…from RS – 312mm
- drilled high-carbon discs Brembo Sport Line
- new rear callipers
- most-likely racing fluid because high-carbon discs have got very high thermal capacity